In Canberra you need a motorcycle licence to ride any scooter with any size engine; NSW is the same, training takes one day.
There is some confusion because in SA, WA, QLD and the NT you can ride a 50cc scooter, or "moped" on your drivers licence.
You can get a rider's licence when you turn 16 years and 9 months and you will be riding on your own from that day.
• You must have done the road ready course if you don't have a drivers licence already
• Age: from 16 and 9 months
• You book a 1 day, or two half day, training session with one of the approved providers
• Once the training is complete, Access Canberra will give you a learners permit
• Your training is managed through the NSW RTA
• A 30 question written test is required
• There are restrictions on the maximum speed you can travel while on your L,s
the ACT system
• The provider supplies a bike or scooter, helmets and gloves
• If you want a scooter you need to book it beforehand
• On completion you get a certificate and then Access Canberra will give you a learners permit valid for 12 months
• After 3 months you can do a 1/2 days training, at the end of which you do a test for your P's
• Training providers are private companies that work under ACT Govt. guidelines
Stay Upright can be contacted on 62971 144 or online at stayupright.com.au